We are entering spring testing season – for PVES that is April 19th though the end of May. Our students will be taking some combination of the following assessments: MAPS, SBA (CASSP), CST, Physical Fitness and Healthy Kids tests.
- MAPS -All grades
- PUSD assessment of Math and English Language Arts
- provides Lexile score.
- Coordinates with Compass Learning levels
- SBA/CAASP – grades 3-5
- This is the CA common core test
- sample test available
- keyboarding skills are important for performance sections of Math and ELA
- CST – 5th grade only
- First time science learning is assessed for elementary school
- last part of STAR tests (No Child Left Behind)
- Physical fitness – 5th grade, six areas of physical fitness
- CA Healthy Kids– 5th grade, overall well-being assessments by survey of student
Oh and in case you thought your 5th grader had enough to think about right before Spring Break, don’t forget the much anticipated hygiene talk on April 8th (Parents can preview the video on March 29th at 2pm).
In all seriousness, take a look at some of the links to get more resources to help you better understand the goals for each set of tests. The results of these assessments provide essential data that will be used by our teachers, staff and administration to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of education our children receive. As parents, our jobs will be to make sure they eat well, get rest, and practice their keyboarding skills!